Thursday, May 26, 2016

How to Create, Editing and Using Printables - PDF's



Now let's talk if you get a PDF insert or sticker. I will show you how to quickly re size it for your own use. In this example I will use a regular 8 x 11 print, which is typically what I provide, so you can easily make it your own size. This is a bit more technical and involves a bit of math.
For quick reference, here are some measurements. You can Google any additional, but I found these to be the basic:
  • A4 - 8.3 x 11.7
  • A5 - 5.8 x 8.3
  • Personal - 3.7 x 6.7
  • Pocket - 3.2 x 4.7
  • Happy Planner - 7 x 9.25
The reason I try to provide these as PDFs is it is easy to change the paper in adobe. A little harder to get the happy planner sizes, but I will show you how to add that in as well. 

Open file. 
  1. Open Print box by selecting print vs. using the shortcut. 
  2. Click Properties and it will open a new box. 
  3. Select Size you need from this menu. If you select a smaller size than the paper you print on, it will just print in the middle(ish). If you use a larger page, like A4 paper, however, it will be cut when it prints. OR
  4. Make a custom by clicking the custom tab. 
  5. Enter dimensions and name your new custom (Happy Planner!)
  6. Ready to go! You are ready to print in the size you need. It will require trimming unless you have inserted special paper sizes but this will allow you to make the most of your inserts. 
This can also be applied to PDF stickers, if you wish to re-size them. You can actually scale by percentage if you want as well. I do this for shipping labels on small packages. I usually print them at half or even 75% size, to save ink and it fits better. 

Now I noticed this only worked on my laser printer, but on the color printer I was able to edit the sizing in another dialogue box same style (it was just more colorful). Look around in the PDF settings, usually under Advanced, to find your printer options.

I hope this was really handy if you have never messed with the settings.
  Next lets make our own washi/backgrounds in WORD! (coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment